Tuesday, May 20, 2014

CBSE 10th Results 2014 to be declared today at 4 pm on http://cbse.nic.in/

CBSE 10th students should finally be relieved of the stress of the declaration dates of their board exam results.  The results are to be announced today at 4pm. The candidates will be able to check them on the official website of the Board .

The CBSE Class 10 results for Chennai and Trivandrum region have already been announced yesterday. The school wise result for the same is also available online. In such cases, the candidates should click on the link: "School-wise results', after which they are required to fill in details such as affiliation code, examination code/ school code, email address and submit. The results for all the candidates of that particular school will be available thereby.

The counseling sessions for students who have appeared in their Board exams is set to begin from May 20. The counseling session to go on till June 10 will be held on all the working days from 8 am to 10 pm.

In order to check the results, the candidates are required to insert their roll number and date of birth in the slots, and the results will be available then.

CBSE Class 10 Results 2014 can be accessed through three official modes:

Online: They can be checked through either of the following websites:
www.results.nic.in
www.cbseresults.nic.in
www.cbse.nic.in

IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System)
CBSE Class 10 results 2014 can also be checked through IVRS at the rate of Rs 0.30 per minute.
Telephone numbers for IVRS results are:
NIC: 011 - 243 00699
MTNL: 011 - 28127030
BSNL: 1255536

SMS:
The candidates should send their roll numbers to the respective mobile network operators:
The network operator numbers are:
BSNL send cbse10 rollno 57766
Tata Docomo, Aircel, Vodafone and Relience users send cbse10 rollno 58888111
Airtel send cbse10 rollno to 5207011
All networks can send cbse10 rollno to 9212357123 OR 7738299899 (NIC)

CBSE Class 10 Results for Chennai and Trivandrum region were released yesterday. 

'29% lesser foreigners visiting Taj after Uttarakhand floods'

AGRA: The inflow of foreign tourists to Taj Mahal has gone down by over 29% since June in the last year , when flash floods ravaged Uttarakhand.

Blaming the catastrophe for generating "negative publicity" among foreign travelers, the UP Tourism department officials said any such tragedy reported from India, irrespective of location, hampers the tourist's inflow.

" Such incidents make travelers apprehensive and many scrap their plans altogether," said Dinesh Kumar, regional tourist officer, UP Tourism.

As compared to 4.29 lakh foreigners visiting Taj Mahal between June and December in 2012, 3.29 lakh paid visit to the same during the corresponding period in 2013, claimed an ASI data.

This trend has continued in 2014 as well.

Crime against foreign tourists, especially women, and a general perception of poor law and order situation here are some of the other major reasons for this sink. 

TOI

Centre, Uttarakhand government assure Supreme Court that there would be no repeat of Uttarakhand floods

The Centre and Uttarakhand government on Monday assured the Supreme Court that all measures have been put in place to prevent a repeat of the scale and extent of the damages caused by excessive rain and flash flood in the state last year.

Appearing before a bench of justice BS Chauhan and AK Sikri, the two governments submitted that all arrangements have been made for this year's ongoing chardham yatra and they are closely monitoring to control any incident in the state.

The bench then turned down the plea of a petitioner seeking its direction to immediately stay the yatra and asked him to approach the High Court.

Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioner, contended the situation in the state is very precarious and more casualty is likely to take place in case of excessive rain and flash flood in the state.

Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran, however, refuted the contention saying all measures have already been taken to prevent a repeat of the extent of the damages caused by such incidents last year.
DNA

Uttarakhand a soft target for wildlife criminals

Two Bawariyas were arrested for tiger poaching in Kotari range of Kotdwar, Lansdowne forest division on Saturday. The close network of NGOs and forest department informers managed to stop their plan of hunting tigers. However, a notorious poacher, Bheema managed to flee.

Members of the Bawariya community are professional tiger hunters and consider Uttarakhand to be an easy spot for poaching big cats. That’s the reason why they keep on returning to the hill state to try their luck with one of the Bengal Tigers. The forest department has managed to check Bawariyas on several occasions, but failed to stop tiger poaching completely.

BAWARIYA COMMUNITY AT A GLANCE

Originally from Haryana, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh, the Bawariya community is behind nearly 60% wildlife crimes in Uttarakhand, activists said. Known to use traditional techniques of poaching, these people work in groups of family members and stay as migrants in the hill state.

Rajendra Agarwal, state head Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) said, “Bawariyas are migrants in Uttarakhand. A handful of members of this community are involved in 60% of the wildlife crimes in the state. They keep a low profile and works actively.”

One of the striking features of this community is that it uses traditional techniques of poaching. This generally includes use of steel traps, which are easier to install in forest areas where big cat movement is reported.

According to experts, Bawariyas can be spotted selling plastic flowers, wood items, local watches and other such products in Terai and Haridwar belt. Community members make friends and stay in rented rooms. As soon as they get an opportunity, they hunt tigers.

BHEEMA, A LEADING TIGER POACHER
Belinda Wright, executive director Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI), a Delhi-based NGO said Bheema was a leading tiger poacher in Uttarakhand. “His connection with the hill state is strong. And no doubt he will return to the state again and again for killing tigers,” she told HT.

It was in 2005 when Bheema, along with his brother Hazari and partner Shankar Mandal killed a tiger in Kotdwar, Uttarakhand and was smuggling it across Uttar Pradesh. Division forest officer Najibabad then arrested all three accused in Kaudia range of its region, adjoining Kotdwar. After getting bail from a lower court, Bheema did not appear in Bijnore high court and thus, the court issued non-bailable warrant against him. After that, he went missing for two years.

Sources said that he spent two years in Haridwar developing nexus and contact to kill more tigers. Eventually, in February 2012 he was arrested in Gurgaon.

Bheema’s arrest brought a ray of hope for Uttarakhand forest department as the officers were sure he would not get further bail.

After his arrest, Bheema admitted to killing two tigers in 2011 and 2012 in Lansdowne forest division. However, Bheema get bail in late 2013 and immediately after coming out of jail, he planned another tiger poaching operation in Kotdwar which was tracked down.

SK Dutta, additional principal chief conservator of forest shared, “Bheema has killed several tigers of Uttarakhand. He is well versed with geographic conditions of Kotdwar. He knows the belt completely and also knows patches where tigers are present. He is a professional and no doubt one of the leading tiger poachers of the state.”

Besides Bheema there are other Bawariya tiger poachers.  Totaram alias Birbal was another threat to tigers of the state who was sentenced three years rigorous imprisonment by Khatima court of Uddhamsinghnagar district in December 2009. Totaram was in close contact with notorious poacher Sansarchand who is now no more.

In May 2012, a tiger-poaching incident was reported in Corbett Tiger Reserve. A series of raids and investigations followed and in Haryana 8 Bawariyas were arrested in this connection. Ramesh Bagri of Pinjore, Ginia Bagri and Tarachand Bagri of Panchkula, Gopi Bawariya of Chandigarh and Priya Bawariya were main accused arrested then.

Bheema was also involved in the case, who was later arrested in Gurgaon.

Besides, noted poacher Om Prakash Bawariya, Dariya Singh and wife Bhagwati also belong to Bawariya community and are involved in several wildlife crimes of Uttarakhand as well as other parts of nation.

FAILURE OF FOREST DEPARTMENT
Despite reminders from the National Tiger Conservation Authority, Uttarakhand forest department has largely failed to keep Bawariya community at bay. Blame it on the poor management or lack of manpower, forest department on various occasions has left its tigers at the mercy of Bawariyas. The May 2012 tiger-poaching incident of CTR said it all. When tigers are not safe in tiger reserves, then how can they be protected in territorial forest divisions of the state?

Dinesh Pandey from Wildlife Trust of India said, “There’s great emphasis on tiger conservation across the state. But, Uttarakhand forest department is inactive and slow in taking steps in accordance with NTCA guidelines. When Bawariyas can reach the heart of Corbett and hunt tigers, then they can kill big cats from wherever they want. The forest department lacks vision to conserve tigers. If Bawariyas are returning again and again to the state, it points out how easy it is for them to do poaching here.”

Needless to mention, lack of manpower mars Anti-Poaching Cell and APCCF intelligence wing. Both forest officers claim they have shortage of manpower. Informers are kept, but territorial staff is not included in intelligence and poaching cell activities.

Uttarakhand second state in the country to have PMG portal

Dehradun: Uttarakhand has become the second state after Odisha to have its own Project Monitoring Group (PMG) portal which is likely to boost investments in the state by paving the way for online clearance of projects.

With the launch of this portal, projects in Uttarakhand will now get forest and land transfer clearances online, PMG chairman Anil Swaroop said after launching the portal at the secretariat here yesterday.

Noting that the portal will give the much needed fillip to investments in the hill state, he said 14 other states have also agreed to launch such portals.

With this all hurdles would be removed online regarding proposed investments in state or union government projects.

Till now, 150 projects worth Rs 5.3 lakh crore had received clearance online through PMG portals, he said.

PTI

Uttarakhand CM drops Amrita, inducts Dinesh

Chief minister Harish Rawat on Monday “dropped” minister Amrita Rawat from his cabinet replacing her with Independent MLA Dinesh Dhanai, in what is being seen as the maiden fallout of the ruling Congress’ complete decimation in the Lok Sabha election in the state.
Dhanai was administered the oath of secrecy by governor Aziz Qureshi at a brief function held here at Raj Bhawan. An MLA from Tehri, Dhanai belongs to the seven-member Progressive Democratic Front (PDF), an ally of the Harish Rawat-led minority Congress government.

Amrita, however, continues to be the ruling Congress MLA. She was dropped from the cabinet in the wake of her husband and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Satpal Maharaj’s persistent demand that chief minister Rawat resign owning responsibility for the Congress’ complete rout in the LS elections.

It may be noted that Maharaj, a former Congress MP from Pauri, joined the BJP in the wake of the Lok Sabha elections giving a rude jolt to the ruling party.

The chief minister, however, chose to remain ambivalent when queried by reporters after the oath taking ceremony if he dropped state tourism minister Amrita from his 11-member cabinet. “Well, whatever decision I took was strictly in keeping with the constitutional provisions,” he said. “She continues to remain an honourable member of our party,” the CM said when reminded about Amrita’s allegation that the insulting manner in which he (CM) dropped her from the cabinet was an insult to all the women in the state and they would pay him back in the same coin.

Sources, however, said the former state tourism minister was dropped after she chose not to submit her resignation ignoring the CM’s instructions. “The CM contacted her (Amrita Rawat) on Sunday and asked her to submit her resignation as cabinet minister by 2pm today (Tuesday),” a source said. “The decision to drop her followed after she ignored the CM’s directions and instead rushed to Delhi today morning,” he added.

Rawat’s decision to replace Amrita with Dhanai was, however, a well calculated move. The decision was taken amid strong buzz doing the rounds that the PDF might withdraw support to the minority Rawat government at the instance of the BJP. The grapevine has it that the saffron party is just waiting in the wings to form its government with the PDF support following the ruling Congress’ complete rout in the LS polls.

Congress insiders said Rawat had kept his flock together before he dropped Amrita from the cabinet. As part of the move, he recently distributed the lal battis (cabinet responsibilities) among most of the 26 of a total of 33 Congress MLAs. Seven of these (Congress MLAs) are already ministers in the Rawat cabinet. By inducting Dhanai the CM has left no excuse for the seven-member PDF to withdraw support to his government.

Thanks to the PDF support, the Rawat government faces no threat as of now. The reason: the total number of the MLAs supporting it is 40, which is four more than the minimum number of 36 MLAs required for the government to survive.

“So, the Rawat government won’t be in danger even if Amrita chooses to quit our party,” said a state Congress leader who did not wish to be identified.

HT

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Kedarnath Yatra suspended for fourth day due to bad weather

Dehradun, The Kedarnath Yatra remained suspended for the fourth consecutive day Tuesday due to adverse weather conditions, officials said.

"Heavy rains and snowfall have stranded hundreds of pilgrims along the route to the shrine. Rains continued Tuesday on Badrinath, Kedarnath and Yamunotri routes," said Dehradun Sub-Divisional Magistrate Uttam Singh.

He, however, sought to allay fears that pilgrims stranded enroute due to adverse weather were under risk.

Adequate arrangements have been made for the safety of the pilgrims, officials said, adding that the yatra will remain suspended for the next two days also.

While more than 150 pilgrims have returned from the shrine after the pilgrimage, an equal number are stranded in Linchauli, five km from the Kedarnath shrine, owing to the bad weather.

The Chardham Yatra, struck last year by flash floods that left thousands dead and missing, resumed May 2. The yatra is a holy expedition that includes visiting four famous shrines in India -- Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath.

Massive reconstruction and safety measures have been initiated by the Uttarakhand government after the June 2013 disaster. However, far fewer numbers have turned up for the pilgrimage this year.

Source:IANS